POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie syntax problem : Re: Newbie syntax problem Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie syntax problem
From: LibraryMan
Date: 12 Nov 2002 12:46:52
Message: <3DD13CF9.CA8287AE@att.net>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> It is possible, POV just choked because you gave it bad information. It
> is expecting a 2D vector in this case, you gave it a 3D vector. I'm not
> really sure what it would do in this case, either chop off the third
> component or give an error. Either way, it would not work...the third
> component is one you need. If you replace each "v_XX" with "< v_XX.x,
> v_XX.z>" it should work fine. If POV truncates 3D vectors to 2D ones,
> you just need to use coordinates in the xy plane and rotate around the z
> axis. I know that seems counterintuitive when the prism is in the xz
> plane.

Just a point of info I'd like to clarify (or maybe I shouldn't open this
can of worms):

If I had declared only 2D vectors like so:
#declare v_01 = <0.5, 0>;  ... (rather than the 3D I used)

then would these be uv vectors, and would I be able to specify them in
the prism (or polygon, or conic sweep, or whatever) by using  [...]
<v_01.u, v_02.v>, <v_02.u, v_02.v>, etc. ?

I shouldn't get nit-picky, after all, what you specified using .x and .z
worked just fine.  I merely wanted to
see if I was understanding the manual correctly about uv vectors...

Thanks!
--Mark